Thursday, August 16, 2007

Do we make decisions based on reason or emotion?

My best description of how reason and emotion work within me is an image of an ever-widening spiral:

outward spiral, passing through reason and emotionAs the spiral widens, my sense of 'certainty' increases.

Accessing feelings can be very difficult, perhaps because we've learnt over many years to suppress them. Often feelings are best accessed indirectly, through symbols (or 'resonant sensations'). This is why religious paraphernalia (such as candles, incense, music etc.) can sometimes be helpful.

We can find peace with God only when we are 'broken'. Again, although I didn't say it in the meeting, I've been thinking about this some more. I imagine myself going for a job interview at God Inc.:

God: So, what strengths can you bring to the company?
Me: Absolutely none, I'm afraid.
God: That's what I hoped you'd say.

No comments: